Tussle with name-change, Jln Alor's renaming controversy has became one of the stories that international media picked up on.The story was once top 10 most popular read stories of The Straits Times online, Singapore, and had it being posted on famous search engine news site such as MSN, Yahoo and Google.source: The Star N20, Nation by Loong Meng Yee I think we should all be thankful that media were highlighting this matter. Seeing how people speak up against it, I think probably the city council might be heading the wrong way in re-branding the street into some kind of internationally known tourism spot. (A little bit information bout this Jln Alor if you are reading this & you don't know where & what it is about)It's a street where you can find most of the famous Malaysian delicacies. Okay, I have been to this place a couple of times when I'm around in the area. To be
franked, I don't find the food there amazed me or perhaps I should say it is just nice for the sake of attracting tourists from elsewhere. Imaging if Orchard Road in Singapore were to change it's name to something like Jalan Kejora. Wahaha, the first thing I'll do is laugh like hell. It sounds nothing international! I mean if they were to rename, come on la, you can always come out with sth like Atylor Street or Starhill Street which sounds alot more classy and globally accepted. How would a British bother to remember a street name in a language that is so not familiar with him. Or maybe City Council should rescinds her earlier decision, Jln Alor remains Jln Alor as it have been famous landmark for food seeking tourists over the years. Such act may confuse them. Did you ever come accross sth like Oxford University or XiMengTing,Taiwan changing name? My god, it will be disastrous I tell you. I suggest the council should look into problem like how to keep the street clean and maybe they can think about upgrading the look of the street?
franked, I don't find the food there amazed me or perhaps I should say it is just nice for the sake of attracting tourists from elsewhere. Imaging if Orchard Road in Singapore were to change it's name to something like Jalan Kejora. Wahaha, the first thing I'll do is laugh like hell. It sounds nothing international! I mean if they were to rename, come on la, you can always come out with sth like Atylor Street or Starhill Street which sounds alot more classy and globally accepted. How would a British bother to remember a street name in a language that is so not familiar with him. Or maybe City Council should rescinds her earlier decision, Jln Alor remains Jln Alor as it have been famous landmark for food seeking tourists over the years. Such act may confuse them. Did you ever come accross sth like Oxford University or XiMengTing,Taiwan changing name? My god, it will be disastrous I tell you. I suggest the council should look into problem like how to keep the street clean and maybe they can think about upgrading the look of the street?
4 comments:
If I not mistaken, there's a road in Sg.Lembing, named as Market Street. This should be easy to foreigner such as British people to pronounce it right? Haha.. Yes, I am agree the road should be change to more international so mat saleh know how to read it.
eh eh.. put a chat box at your blog la.. haiyo
Where is Sg Lembing?As what I know famous streets like BEACH Street in Penang is definitely in English or those in my hometown(lazy to recall) as well. Okay,I'll put up the chatbox soon.Any simpler chatbox you would ike to reco me coz I had refered to few of my fren'sand theirs looks complicated in a way.Just can't tell what it is which makes me feel complicated.
Maybe they're using a different strategy. Why would foreigners come all the way from their own 'global' countries with 'global' names to our country just to see more of the same (but tak sama standard) thing?
Tourists are looking for exotic foods, products and places WITH exotic 'hard to remember names'. The harder, the better cause they'll want to remember it just to tell everyone back in the home country. Haha!
Post a Comment